Healthy, fast and fresh! The calories and carbs are held in check by increasing the veggie to pasta ratio. I used the first zucchini of the year and basil from my garden. Use whatever veggies you have on hand to make this recipe your own.
Prep Time: 30 min Cook Time: 6 min Difficulty: Easy
Servings: 6 Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup Yield: about 8 cups SP: 4
- 1 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained, roughly chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, thinly sliced matchsticks
- 1 cup basil, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup celery with leaves, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, cellentani or rotini recommended (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp spicy or Dijon mustard
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large bowl, whisk red wine vinegar, olive oil and mustard together. Whisk in garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
2. Add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, peppers, red onions and bail to bowl. Toss veggies to coat with dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste.
3. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt water and cook pasta according the package directions. Drain pasta, reserving about a 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
4. Add pasta to bowl with veggie mixture; toss to coat. Add 1 tablespoon at a time of the pasta if salad seems dry. Adjust seasoning as needed
NOTES, TIPS & TRICKS: For a complete meal, add grilled chicken or shrimp.