I am always looking for quick, healthy recipes that I can make in small quantities that use food from my garden and leftovers. Today, I whipped up a quick meal with fresh zucchini and barbecue pulled chicken from my freezer. Tomorrow, I’ll enjoy the remaining zucchini boat for lunch.
Ready in about 30 minutes, this recipe is flexible and doubles or triples easily. Vegetarian? Or having a Meatless Monday? Sub the chicken for tofu and your choice of veggies. Don’t like chicken? Try pork, lean ground turkey or lean ground beef leftover from tacos. You get the idea. Use whatever floats your (zucchini) boat and tastes good to you! As long as you eat your veggies, it’s all good.
Peace & Java
Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 15 min Difficulty: Easy Peasy
Servings: 2 Serving Size: 1 zucchini boat Yield: 2 boats SP: 4
1 small – medium zucchini (6-8 ounces), cut in half lengthwise
1/3 cup pulled barbecue chicken, diced
1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
1/4 cup reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use a small spoon or melon baller to scoop out some of the flesh from the zucchini. Place the zucchini on a rimmed baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and set aside. Chop the zucchini flesh.
3. Add the zucchini flesh , chicken, tomatoes with green chilies to a small bowl and stir to combine. Feel free to use rotisserie chicken if you don’t have leftover chicken. You may also consider adding aromatics like garlic and onion if you’re using pork or chicken from the store with little or no seasoning.
4. Taste the mixture and adjust seasoning as needed. Spoon the chicken mixture into the zucchini boats. Sprinkle the cheese over the top. Place in oven (or toaster oven) and bake 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted.
5. Serve with a green salad or my Gazpacho with Roasted Peppers & Shrimp.
NOTES, TIPS & TRICKS: To cut carbs, make taco zucchini boats using lean ground chicken, turkey or beef. Brown the ground meat or tofu. Add cumin, garlic, onion, tomatoes, taco sauce, salt and pepper. Top with cheese and bake. Add your fav taco toppers like avocado, and lettuce to the baked zucchini boats.