Soup is indeed good food. It can be a light lunch or supper or a hearty dinner served with a green salad and crusty bread for mopping up the yummy creaminess. This soup is quick and easy. I like my soup a little chunky with pieces of mushrooms and crab. For this recipe, the mushrooms are the star, so save the jumbo lump crab for another day. Crab claws or lump crab works just fine for this recipe. I also like to mix my mushrooms. Try a mix of creamini, white and oyster mushrooms for a flavor treat. If you prefer a completely smooth soup, purée the entire batch and push it thought a sieve.
Peace & Java
Prep Time: 30 min Cook Time: 30 min Total Time: 1 hour Serving Size: 1 cup
Servings: 6 Difficulty: Intermediate Yield: about 6 cups SP: 5
2 lbs fresh mixed mushrooms, sliced
2 medium leeks, white and light green parts washed thoughly and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup crab claws, picked over for shells
1 cup white wine
1 cup fat-free half & half
1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1. In a large soup pot, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the leaks and cook until wilted and tender, about 5-6 minutes.
2. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, cooking until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and they are lightly browned. Season the mushrooms with salt, pepper and the red pepper flakes.
3. Add the wine and cook until the mushrooms and leeks absorb the wine.
4. Remove 1/2 of the cooked mushroom and leek mixture and reserve.
5. Stir in the flour and cook 2-3 minutes with the remaining mushroom mixture. Add the chicken or vegetable broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup to desired consistency. Add the reserved mushrooms and crab to the soup pot and bring the soup to a simmer. Do not boil! Whisk in the half & half and Greek yogurt. Additional broth may be added to achieved desired consistency. Add the nutmeg and adjust seasonings as needed.
NOTES, TIPS & TRICKS: To make this recipe vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Sherry pairs well with mushrooms and can be used instead of white wine.
Blend the soup in batches if you don’t have an immersion blender.